1. Don’t kill the birds! the little birds,
That sing about your door
soon as the joyous Spring has come,
And chilling storms are o’er.
2. The little birds! how sweet they sing!
Oh, let them joyous live;
And do not seek to take the life
Which you can never give.
3. Don’t kill the birds! the pretty birds,
That play among the trees;
For earth would be a cheerless place,
If it were not for these.
4. The little birds! how fond they play!
Do not disturb their sport;
But let them warble forth their songs,
Till winter cuts them short.
5. Don’t kill the birds! the happy birds,
That bless the field and grove;
So innocent to look upon,
They claim our warmest love.
6. The happy birds, the tuneful birds,
How pleasant ‘t is to see!
No spot can be a cheerless place
Where’er their presence be.
Go to Lesson 56 here